We recently moved downtown and having to think of new things to cook for lunch and dinner is starting to consume a lot of our time. Let's be real, after working 9-5 we're really not up for having a new recipe for each day of the week. We prefer making big batches of food to last us through the week and this Chorizo, turkey and lentil medley is perfect for that!
Soups and stews are great to make ahead of time because they are filling, keep well and even last in the freezer for a few months! We did an adaption of a recipe from Tasty Kitchen using Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes.
Muir Glen tomatoes are field grown and vine ripened under certified organic practices which means they aren't using any synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers. Enter their #OnlyTheBest campaign for a chance to win a Muir Glen prize pack.
We love chorizo but we decided to opt for a more healthier eating option of adding ground turkey and the result was great! The best thing about this recipe is that you only need one pot to get it all done!
- 1 chorizo sausage (removed from casing)
- 1/2 pound of ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 can of white kidney beans
- 1 can of Muir Glen Organic Fire Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 3 and a half cup cups of vegetable broth
- 2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 bunch of chopped spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up the avocado oil in the pot on medium - high heat and fry the garlic under fragrant
- Add the chorizo and ground turkey until brown, roughly 5 minutes
- Add in the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, lentils and 2 cups of vegetable broth
- Let it boil and then reduce the temperature to a simmer for 30 minutes
- Check to see how thick your stew is at this point, I usually like to add another cup of vegetable broth as the lentils really soak up the liquids
- When the lentils are soft, add the chopped spinach and salt and pepper to taste.
This would make a great appetizer for any dinner party that you want to throw and if you're thinking of freezing it, mason jars work best and it's a perfect portion to bring to work for lunch!
We want to hear from you guys what you think is important and is the best when you're trying to host and impress at a dinner party! It doesn't have to be just about recipes, you can let us know what tips you have when you're hosting or how you impress those few individuals that always have something to pick at!
Don't forget to follow Muir Glen (@Muirglen) and @Foodsisterhood
Tag us and use the #OnlyTheBest to let us know what your ideas are!
The winner will receive a prize pack with all the new Muir Glen products that are coming to Canada which includes:
-Fire Roasted Diced
-Fire Roasted Crushed
-Crushed with Basil
AND a $50 PC gift card