I remember when I was younger, my favourite after school snack was chicken nuggets. It doesn't matter whether it's fast food chain nuggets or the kind your mom buys in a box and you have to bake yourself. I recently had cravings for some nuggets and those store bought ones probably aren't all that healthy for you so I decided to make my own.
They are super easy to make and you can make a lot and then freeze it for a quick snack later on by popping them into the oven to reheat!
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp thyme
- 1 tbsp rosemary
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg whites
1. Crush the pretzels using a ziploc bag and rolling a cup over it or use a kitchen mortar to grind up the pretzels. You can make them super fine or leave a few bigger chunks for extra texture.
2. Cut up the chicken breast into 1 inch cubes.
3. Mix the thyme, rosemary, red pepper flakes and ground black pepper into the flour.
4. Beat the egg and egg whites together.
5. Set out everything on your table like a work station so it's easy to access.
6. Coat the chicken pieces with flour first.
7. Next, dip it into the egg mixture.
8. Roll the egg coated in the pretzel mix and lay on baking tray.
9. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and cook the chicken for 25-30 minutes depending on the size of the nuggets. Flip the chicken once half way during baking. Don't over cook the chicken as they will come out dry. Chill completely if you are freezing it, otherwise enjoy them hot out of the oven with your favourite dipping sauce!
TIPS: When you lay out the pretzel crumbs, only do a little at a time as it will get clumpy after a few pieces. Save the crumbs in a bag and only add more as you run out while making the chicken.