Lemon Poppyseed muffins are my favourite muffin and after a failed attempt at making them, I looked for a second recipe and tweaked it a bit to make my own!
I stumbled upon Bing's blog and found a lemon yogurt cupcake recipe. I've also been trying to bake healthy so the fact that this recipe had no butter got me pretty interested! I ended up changing it a bit and here's what I came up with!
1 1/2 cups of plain flour (try experimenting with whole wheat but I wouldn't add too much because it'll make the batter very course)
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 cup lemon yogurt (You can use plain or vanilla yogurt too but it won't have as much lemon taste)
1 cup white sugar
grated lemon zest from one large lemon
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons of poppyseed (you can adjust this to your own liking)
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees celsius
2. Mix in eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl
3. Add one cup of sugar, lemon zest and vegetable oil
4. Add in 1 cup of yogurt
5. Add in 1 1/2 cups of white flour and baking powder
6. Mix with a hand mixer or stand mixer until everything is blended
7. Mix in the poppy seeds with a spatula until it's blended well into the mixture.
8. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins
9. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean!
If you want a little more flavour with your cupcakes, you can add a lemon glaze on top by mixing the lemon juice and sugar together and using a silicone brush to brush the tops of the cupcakes while it's still hot from the oven!
Enjoy your cupcakes and happy baking!!