Here are some easy steps to preparing your own hot pot!
1. Choose a soup base:
- You can tailor this to your own needs; keep it simple with a chicken stock or add some spices and peppers if you like a little kick in your food
- Another option is to make your own stock. Boil some water and throw in some veggies!
- The base isn't THAT important because after you cook all the meat, the soup will flavour itself!
2. Choose your meats/veggies/noodles:
- Here's the best part of hot pot, picking what you're going to eat. When my family does it, we usually have three groups; meats, veggies and noodles but of course this is different for everyone!
- When it comes to the meat, you can get beef/lamb/pork slices, chicken is okay but usually gets a bit tough from cooking in the soup.
- We usually also stock up on fish balls,beef balls etc
- Pick up some noodles to cook LAST because it'll really soak up the flavour from the soups. You can buy kalguksu, udon, instant noodles... anything you want!
- Last but not least, veggies! There's really no restrictions here, buy what you would normally like to eat and just throw it in for a few seconds and it's ready to eat!